01 June 2008

My Nap


Many children develop an attatchment to a particular blanket or stuffed animal as a toddler, and so far, in our family it has been blankets.

Jacob fell in love with the quilt from his crib around his first birthday. It started with him holding it to suck his thumb as he slept, and then it grew to taking it to the store with him. Then he began carrying it around the house with him all of the time. He even gave his blanket a name, “my nap” I do not know why, but it has really stuck. So much so that all baby blankets are now called “naps”. Joshua now has a blanket of his own, and you guessed it, it is also a nap.

Now, as Jacob is nearing his third birthday, “nap” has become more than just a special blanket; it is also his imaginary friend. Nap has “nannies”(pajamas), and used to get diaper changes, although now Nap is potty-trained. Nap even keeps the boys awake at night sometimes, with all of his talking and giggling. One time Jacob even said that Nap talked back to Daddy.

I know that one day, probably not all that far off in the future, he will grow out of having Nap. And I am sure that it will break our hearts to pack Nap away. But I am quite sure that I will have to find some way to preserve it to keep it safe for him when he grows up.


0 comments:

Post a Comment