07 July 2009

Independence Day Carnival








We celebrated our nation's birthday at our town's carnival and fireworks display. We thought the boys would have fun, but we had no idea just how MUCH fun! As soon as we arrived, Jacob started saying that he wanted to ride the rides. I was quite shocked since he is usually so cautious. I thought he would likely change his mind, but he just kept becoming more insistent that he wanted to do it!

After a lunch of hot dogs and bbq, we decided to let him ride his first ride. We thought it would be best to choose one that Daddy could ride with him, so Jacob, Joshua, and Daddy rode the tea cups. Jacob LOVED it! I couldn't really see him during the ride, so the whole time I was nervous, thinking he would get scared. But as soon as I saw him get off I could see the sparkle of excitement in his eyes. He and Joshua then rode a Jeep ride (all by themselves!!!!). Then the boys wanted to ride the flying elephant ride. I was a little nervous to put the boys on it without one of us. We stood by the ride and talked about it for a while, I wanted to make sure they understood that it would go up in the air so that they would not be afraid. Joshua's eyes lit up in excitement as he was describing it to me, "It go up in the air and it spin around!" I asked him if he wanted to ride it, and he said that he did, but I could also tell that he was a bit nervous. Jacob was really wanting to ride it as well. So finally it was decided that I would go on the ride with Joshua (it is a ride meant for small children, so it was safe for me :)) and that Jacob could ride in an elephant by himself. I was glad that I rode with Joshua because he was nervous, but he did have fun. Jacob loved it and wanted his to stay up in the air!

Jacob saw a man walk by with his face painted, and he asked me about it. I told him that at carnivals people sometimes liked to paint their faces in fun ways. "Oh, I want to do that!" he exclaimed. "Really?" I asked him. He really did. I was so amazed to see him stepping so far out of his usual causious ways. We took him over to have his face painted...I really expected him to change his mind. But he was insistent on having his face painted like a puppy. Joshua decided to have his painted as well...as a bear, of course! Oh, they were too cute! When Jacob's was finished, he ran to the mirror to see. When both boys' faces were finished it was ADORABLE to see them stare and point at each others!

Jacob was thrilled with his puppy face. All afternoon he was looking for ways to see himself in the mirror or reflections in anything he could find. That night when it was time for bed he was so upset at the thought of having to wash it off, that we decided to let him attempt to sleep in it, with the understanding that if it smeared we would have to wash it in the morning. He agreed. The next morning it was still in place, so we let him wear it through the day. Oh, he loved that!

That evening we watched the fireworks. The boys liked them, but weren't overly thrilled with them. Rick and I enjoyed them though, LOL.

Overall it was a lovely day.

Blessings Abound,

1 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day! Ours was rainy. :( But, it turned out to be a blessing! You're boys are adorable!

    ReplyDelete