06 January 2010

My Homemaking Notebook

I debated about whether to post this here or on the Proverbs 31 Homemaking blog...but decided to do both. It's really a "homemaking" thing, but it's also so much a part of what I do every day that it seemed to deserve a place here. So, here we are :)


I had to switch to using a larger notebook with my new system. Fortunately I just happened to have a larger pink notebook laying around, LOL. Now, I will just have to find a use for the pretty cover I had made for my old notebook.




The first divider in my notebook is "Information". (Please excuse the Flyboat in the picture...Joseph dropped it right as I took the picture, LOL) MY first page in this section is a basic information page, similar to that found in most planners. Then I have a page for birthdays and anniversaries, a page for important phone numbers, family medical information (just a quick reference sheet with our doctor's information and such). The last page in this section is a Babysitter's Information sheet. This I have in a sheet protector so that I can just pull the page out and post it if we have a baby sitter. This page has all the information she would need to reach us, our doctor, or a neighbor in an emergency. It also has basic instructions such as bedtime routine, what to do if a time-out is needed for the boys, etc...




The next divider is "Schedules and Routines". Here I keep a copy of our family's schedule, and have any basic routines written down for reference. I like the thought that anyone could pick up my notebook and have a good idea of how to run my home. Especially with having a child with Asperger's Syndrome, and even just having four boys, and homeschooling, things like routines and schedules are a neccisity in getting things done!

I like to also write little words of encouragement on the bottom of my written out routine. I like being able to look back and feel refreshed and inspired. :)




My next divider is "Checklists". In this section I have a Master Cleaning list for things that I like to accomplish. I have a daily list, a weekly list, and a copy of the boys' chore charts.







My next divider is "Cleaning". Here I keep detailed instructions for how I like things done. I also keep instructions for deep cleaning (such as seasonal cleanings...) I also keep things like my favorite homemade cleaning supply recipes.




Next comes "Meal Planning". This might be the most important section as far as my family is concerned, LOL. (you have seen my GIANT sized boys, right?) In this section I keep a copy of our menu.

I also like to keep a list of ideas for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack, and Dessert, which is helpful in future menu planning. I haven't finished putting this one together yet ;).





The next section is "Shopping Lists". In this section I have 12 blank shopping lists (one for each month). As I come across things I need to add to our list I write it here. Then, when it is time to go shopping, I take this list, and imput it the Shopping List Software, so that I can print out a list with a estimated total.






My next divider is "Pantry and Freezer" Inventory. In this section I keep a spreadsheet with the inventory of our pantry and deep freezer. We do quite a bit of bulk shopping, so it is helpful to keep track of what we have in stock.





"Hospitality" is the last divider before my daily planning section. In this section I keep notes on ideas for when we have guests in our home, and that sort of thing. I also have planning sheets for when we are having company, so that I can be prepared for meals, and making sure everyone has what they need to feel right at home.



And now, to the heart of my homemaking notebook...

I made a divider for each month and because I am incredibly cheesy (or just madly in love with my husband, who is in sales, and thinks on the "quarter" system) I used different papers for each quarter, lol.



On the back side of the divider page is a calendar for the month. Here I note important holidays, feast days, and birthdays. In each month's sections, I have a daily planning sheet for each day. Here I write to-do lists, I can jot down a note to myself, or make notes of things I need to add to our grocery list. This section is really the "heart" of my notebook since I use it everyday.

At the beginning of each week I have a sheet where I can write down the basic goals I would like to achieve that week, and also a few enjoyable things I might like to find time for (such as a craft project...)



So there you have it... the crux of how I keep our home in order. I like having it all neatly in one place, right at my fingertips.

You might have noticed that I used quite a bit of pretty papers, and took the time to cut out flowers to embellish the divider pages. I even used scrapbooking papers to make the divider tabs. This might seem a bit frivalous, but I wanted to make my notebook pretty. It is something that I use everyday, and I wanted it to be a "joy" and not "drudgery". So I picked a calligraphy like font, and pretty pink flowers and made the perfect notebook for my liking.


Hugs,

10 comments:

  1. Pretty! Great job- I may have to copy your notebook!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a pretty homemaking notebook! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you consider putting forms like these on your site?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I borrow you for just a week or two? Your hubby wouldn't mind right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can really see your personality in your binder. You bring up a good point about it being something you like and want to use and not just being functionl. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all I can say is awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen so many homemaking binders, but I never thought to set one up like a daily planner. What a cool idea! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, at some point in the future I will have forms for a homemaking notebook available on the website. I'm not sure exactly when, but it is definitely something I am looking into!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all of the kind comments on my notebook. You are all just so sweet!

    ReplyDelete