13 January 2010

Proverbs 31:19

She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff."

This verse refers to the ancient method of spinning from before the spinning wheel. The virtuous wife was well skilled in providing her family with clothing. In modern times such skills have become a lost art-something seen primarily as done by choice as a hobby. Why would a lady bother with making clothes for her family when it is so simple to go out and buy them? So few young ladies are taught the skills of knitting, crocheting, or sewing as they are viewed as useless skills. Young women today, in many cases, hardly know how to prepare meals. Even cooking family meals is becoming a lost art. How many know how to make a cake from scratch? Many families eat out frequently or order food that can be brought into the home.

I have been asked, rather often, why I would take the time to bake our families bread instead of buying a loaf from the store. It is true that a loaf of bread is rather inexpensive, especially when you take in to account the time spent in making it at home. But- there is so much more value in the loaf of bread, formed by my hands, than the wheat and yeast and the nutrition it brings. It does have value financially of course-we figured out that with buying our ingredients in bulk a loaf of wheat bread costs us just pennies, but greater than that is knowing that I created this food for them, with my hands, the same hands that wipe away a child's tears and help guide a little one's pencil as he makes his first marks.

The same is true for making clothes for my family. There is a sweet satisfaction that comes from knowing that I have crafted a garment for them to wear. I have found too that my family members seem to take better care of the things that they know I have made for them. I do not know if it is out of respect or appreciation-but either way it warms my heart.

I do not wish for the words to be a discouragement for those of you who cannot sew or bake or feel that you do not have the time. I remember before I had learned to do these things I felt very overwhelmed by the thought of them. Like so many of you I did not grow up learning many of these skills and found myself scrambling to learn new skills as they became necessary or desired. My hope is to encourage you that it is possible to learn, and to incorporate these arts into your homemaking life.


Pax Christi,

6 comments:

  1. Where do you start when you you learned nothing growing up? The idea of cooking from scratch is amazing, but don't even know where to begin. It feels like I am too old to start learning all new stuff, but I'm pretty sure Stouffers doesn't count as homemade. HELP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cindy,
    I think that a lot of ladies are in the same boat! A lot of people in my generation grew up not learning these things, and a lot of people in the generation before me spent their younger years focused on things other than homemaking. Whatever the situation, the predicament is the same.

    I always knew I wanted to be a homemaker, but wasn't taught most of the skills that have now become so much a part of my life. But, I knew what I wanted to be able to do, and then set out to learn it!

    I think your question deserves a more detailed answer than what belongs here...so if you do not mind, I'd like to answer it in a post. I'll try to get an answer posted in the near future.

    Hugs,
    Melly Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for increasing the size of your font for my "old" eyes... BTW, I LOVE pink too!!
    Rebecca in Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    Oh no problem! :)

    And how could anyone NOT love pink? lol

    Blessings,
    Melly Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazingly I have recently encountered quite a few pregnant women or young mothers with little girls who REFUSE to have anything pink for their girls. I'm not sure if it's a feminist thing or what? I had a beautiful pink blanket set aside to give my hairdresser who just had a baby girl, but was informed (before I gave it to her) that if she had a girl, there was NO WAY she would tolerate any "pink stuff"!! ?????
    More for me, I guess!! :)
    Rebecca in Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca,
    I have actually come across the same thing and it just baffles my little mind, lol. I think it must be a feminist thing...it's the only reason I can think of that would make someone opposed to something that is so "traditional". I certainly understand having a preference for other colors (I have seen beautiful feminine nurseries in all sorts of colors) but to be actually OPPOSED to having anything pink...

    I am just enjoying that feminine colors are considered in "style" again, because it makes it easier to find pink things in the stores!

    Hugs,
    Melly Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete