09 January 2011

Sausage Gravy and Buttermilk Biscuits

A friend asked me to share this recipe, so here it is! This is a delicious way to fill up your belly on a cold wintery morning like we had today!

My recipe makes a big enough batch to feed our house full of growing boys, so if your family is on the smaller side, you may want to halve it.


Sausage Gravy
2 lbs. pork breakfast sausage (I use the medium spicy, which has a tiny kick to it, but you could use mild or hot as well, depending on your preference)
1/2 c. flour
4 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste

Crumble and brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour till dissolved. At this point I transfer mine into a larger pot because my skillet is not big enough to hold everything, but if you were making a half batch, you could continue on in the skillet. Gradually stir in milk. Cook gravy until thick and bubbly. Salt and pepper to taste.

If you are going to be reheating this, rather than using it right away, you may need to re-thicken it a bit with cornstarch or flour. I like to make something like this ahead of time to serve on Sunday mornings before church.

This gravy is absolute delicious over buttermilk biscuits!

Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. solid shortening
3/4 c. buttermilk

Directions:
Blend flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a medium sized bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blend or two knives until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add buttermilk all at one time. Stir with a fork. Gently form dough into a ball and put on a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly with finger tips 10-15 times. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with floured cutter or knife using even pressure to keep side straight. Place on baking sheet close together for soft sided biscuits or 1 inch apart for crusty sides. Brush tops lightly with milk. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.



I doubled this recipe to go with the big batch of sausage gravy.

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. I love buttermilk biscuits, especially since I now know I can just add vinegar to my milk to make buttermilk

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I used to always do, but now I buy buttermilk powder from the bakery. :)

    ReplyDelete