14 January 2011

Frugal Friday- Winter Drying


We all know that drying clothes on a clothesline is the frugal thing to do, but what about when the weather is cold? I have certainly hung clothes out in freezing weather before, but, of course, my clothes completely froze. The problem that I faced was that my clothes were wet once they thawed out. So, what are we to do then? There are certainly ways to hang clothes indoors, but for some this is just an inconvenience and not practical if you have a lot of laundry to do.


One way to at least cut back on dryer usage is to utilize drying racks. These can range in price from very inexpensive (I've seen them at Wal-mart for around $10) to pricey (places such as Lehman's carries them for much more). They don't take up very much space, and conveniently fold down for storage. I like to hang heavier items, such as towels, on these to dry to cut back on how long the dryer has to run. I also find that as an added bonus, it adds a little humidity back in the air. :)

I am actually considering hanging a line in my basement that I can use on rainy or cold days to help with drying as well.

Blessings,

1 comments:

  1. I have some things hanging on the drying rack right now! Great frugal tip to share.

    ReplyDelete