16 February 2009

Leisurely Saturday Afternoons




One thing we have really been learning from the community here, is that there really is something to be said for having a slower pace of life. Learning to slow down is such a blessing, and honestly, it feels like there is so much more time than when we were constantly running around trying to fit in as much as we could to one day.

This weekend I began working on a new shawl. I enjoy knitting as it keeps my hands busy, and yet is not something I must really focus on. I do so enjoy sitting and singing my favorite hymns with the family while knitting or stitching.

On a sad note, Buddy, one of our "mice" (guinea pigs) passed away this weekend. We have not yet told the boys about it, how do you tell a three year old his mouse died? He does not even understand the concept of death. Sigh. We will have to figure it out rather quickly, he will certainly notice his absence.

Tomorrow I am going over to one of the ladies' homes to work on sewing coverings, and look through baby patterns. It sounds like it is going to be a nice day. And the bishop's wife was very pleased that we are willing to conform to wearing their headcoverings. At first we were not sure about switching to the mesh material, but after really getting to know the beliefs and practices of the church here, and seeing that we agree in so many ways, conforming seems like the right thing to do.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sister Melly. You have a lovely family. I love the pictures.
    Blessings,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria,
    Thank you for your kind words about my family! They are such a blessing to me!

    In Christ's Love,
    Melly Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a mesh that I purchased from plain n simple, but I felt exposed. Also, my current covering is great for the not so good bun days. It has a smaller crown that kind of holds things together. Not as small as the Oma, though if you have seen that one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    Yes, I have felt a little unsure of switching to the mesh, but that is what the church here has as their standard, so that is what we feel we should do.

    I am trusting that God will bless the desire in our hearts to be in unity with the church family, while still obeying the directive to cover my head.

    Blessings,
    Melly Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think with mesh coverings,one may be able to put an extra layer in the back for extra modesty, no?

    I love the kapp style..except when I can count the bobby pins and gray hairs through them. :-)

    What type of community ar you nearby. Mennonite?

    It's a blessing they are there to help you along in your journey.

    The Mennonite church I go to is 40 minutes away, but I still go. They have invited me to attend their quilting / sewing days and I felt so humbled they would include me in like that.
    Haven't gone to one yet as hubby always either is working or in school, but I shall get out that way this year sometime. :)

    Tuesday blessings from TX,

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn,
    Yes, we live near a Mennonite community. We attend church there and have found them to be very welcoming towards us and are forming many wonderful and edifying friendships there.

    I think it is wonderful that you are willing to make the drive to attend church. I am sure it is such a blessing!

    Blessings,
    Melly Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete