18 September 2008

Homesteading, Sewing, and Candle Light Dinners



It feels like we are in such a time of growing, and that life is just full of new discoveries right now! We have really started down the path towards simple living, and this path seems so full of hope and the peace that comes with trusting God. We have no false illusions that this is going to be easy, but we do know that by leaning on God and trusting in His providence, that great good will come. To document our journey towards a life of homesteading and simple living my husband and I have created a blog, Happy Hearts Farm. ( http://happyheartsfarm.blogspot.com/) Here we will share the joys, trials and triumphs along the way.

I still have quite a bit of sewing to do. I have started working on a slip (from the other half of the sheet that I made my new apron from), and I have pieces cut for another dress. Yesterday I did a little mending on a few dresses, and I converted two short sleeve dresses into jumpers. I also mended a nightgown. I am also saving all of the scraps from things that I have sewn. The smaller scraps I am using for a quilt, many of the larger scraps I am using to make baby dresses (even though we do not have any little girls as of yet :)). I'd like to use the leftover material from my last dress to make a bonnet.

The children have been greatly enjoying our candle light dinners! It makes something as simple as a pot of chili seem extra special! Jacob said that it is beautiful, and it does add a peaceful atmosphere to the dinner table. I can't help but worry that Joshua (of course) might throw something and knock one over, but he is doing much better about understanding when it is time to be calm.:)

My husband said yesterday that I make the best chocolate chip cookies in the entire world. He asked me what I do that is so different than anyone else, and to be honest, I am not sure! I have made my cookies the same way for many years, and the recipe seems pretty basic to me, and yet these cookies are always so delicious. Even I must admit (humbly, of course :)) that these are by far my favorite cookies. I sent a batch to work with my husband earlier in the week, and now here at home there are only two left (and only briefly might I add, as I am quite sure they will not make it through the afternoon). Perhaps next time I send cookies to work, I will have to make even more!

I decided that I really like my new dress pattern. It is simple, and certainly not overly fancy, but it feels pretty, and it is easy to work in, and I always feel modest. I think I have finally found just the right pattern for my everyday dresses.

Happy Homemaking!


1 comments: