14 August 2008

Why Follow a Schedule?

Those who know me well know that I love to organize. I love schedules and lists and charts and calendars. Not everyone shares my passion for organization, so you may be asking yourself, “Do I really need a schedule?”

Do you find that you no longer have time for hobbies that you once enjoyed? Did you set aside knitting or card-making when the responsibilities of keeping the home increased? Did you stop baking bread or cooking from scratch as your family size grew? Or perhaps you always wanted to do these things but thought that you just didn’t have the time?

When we were expecting our second son everyone told me, “Well now you won’t have time to do all that baking”, or “You will have to learn to accept a messy house”, “It’s too bad you won’t have time to make those pretty cards anymore”…

Well I knew that we had hopes of a large family and that we were praying for God to bless us with children. But I also knew that I loved homemaking and making things and that my husband found these qualities endearing. I knew that the smell of freshly baked bread added to the comforting atmosphere of our home. And I knew that seeing the things that I made for our home made my husband happy and that he appreciated the love and time that went into making them. There had to be a way to hold on to these as our family grew!

I needed a plan. A good, working schedule that included time for all that we wanted to accomplish. A schedule that would include time for prayer, time for our children, time for our home, and time for the things that I enjoy.

At first following a schedule can feel daunting. It may feel restrictive or rigid. Many many times I have been tempted to just throw the schedule out of the window. But whenever I stray from the schedule I find myself feeling like I am drowning in a sea of laundry, rushing to get the basics done, throwing dinner together at the end of the day and frustrated that I have had no time for the activities that I enjoy.

But what a sense of accomplishment I feel when my husband comes home to a neat and tidy home with a lovingly prepared dinner waiting on the table. And the children excitedly tell him about what we did during school, and I show him the needlework that I am working on.

Following the schedule gives our home a sense of order. We have found that our children are better behaved and that the chaos that disorganization creates seems to fade away. I feel better prepared in my duties as wife and mother, my husband is pleased to know that his home is well ordered and the children feel secure in the routine.

II Thessalonians 3:11-12
“For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.”



In Christ's Love,

0 comments:

Post a Comment