13 May 2011

Contentment- My Thoughts

Contentment is an issue that I have been greatly struggling with over the last few months. I began a devotional study on this subject yesterday and it really hit home for me. I thought perhaps I would share my notes with you because I know contentment is something that many women struggle with.

The first was on having an eternal perspective. An eternal perspective in God's way of seeing things. When we have an eternal perspective we view our lives and evaluate what is important from His view point.

*A Prescription for Contentment* (this one is REALLY difficult, but it really hit home for me)
1. Never allow yourself to complain about anything, not even the weather.
2. Never picture yourself in any other circumstances, or some place else.
3. Never compare your lot with anothers.
4. Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
5. Never dwell on tomorrow, remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.

If all of your tomorrow's are nestled in God's strong arms, you are free to live your life today.

Contentment is peace separate from circumstances. .

Contentment is a state of heart and not a state of affairs.

Contentment can be learned! (Philippians 4:11-13)
"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
I think it is important to remember that Paul wrote this while imprisoned, chained to a guard and facing certain death! If he could find contentment even then, it must be possible to find it in whatever situation we face!

At all times, in all circumstances, Christ is able and willing to provide the strength we need to be content.

God infuses contentment into us through His Word..

We become more content when we spend time in His Word, allowing it to seep in and transforming us to be like Him.

It is our "helping God out" that leads to an anxious heart. When we try to take control we take our focus off of the One who is in control, and put our eyes on our circumstances.

1 Timothy 6:15
"Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;" (KJV)
"which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords," (NIV)


This quote really hit home too-
J.I, Packer-
" Contentment is essentually a matter of accepting from God's hand what He sends, because we know that He is good and therefore it is good."

***A quiet heart is content with what God gives***

Elisabeth Elliot-
"Every assignement is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion other options are cancelled, decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter."

If we choose to let God be in control instead of ourselves, we can be a woman of contentment.

And the last point, that has probably been the biggest one for me-
Contentment is accepting God's Sovereign control over life's circumstances.


Blessings,

1 comments:

  1. Thanks for a thought-provoking and faith-strengthening post! I even 'shared' the Elisabeth Elliot quote. :)
    Confident in Christ,
    Susan in VA

    ReplyDelete