13 May 2011

Butchering Chickens

I spent the forenoon over at my friend Hannah's house helping to butcher chickens. Evelyn and Esther had also brought over their chickens to butcher. This was my first time butchering chickens! Hannah was so patient with my many questions, and I learned so much!

They have a nifty machine that plucks the chickens. It was so interesting to watch the whole process. Joshua was very interested in how it all worked! The children all had such a nice time playing with the other children. Joshua even rode in the gator to dump all the heads and feathers off in the woods...yuck! (although he thought it was pretty neat!)

I think we butchered around 75 chickens or so. We enjoyed a nice noon meal together before heading home. Hannah sent me with one of the chickens, and two grocery bags full of chicken feet to make stock. Last Fall I helped my dear friend Deb with making stock from chicken feet, and I figured it was worth doing again. :)

My big stock pot is filled with two gallons of milk for making cheese, so I'll need to finish that before getting to these chicken feet.

Love in Christ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment