07 February 2010

Proverbs 31:20

"She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy."

This is a subject that has really been on my heart quite a bit lately, and I hope that I will be able to do a good enough job in expressing my thoughts here.

I think it is fairly obvious to most Christians that we are obligated and should desire to help those less fortunate than us. And there are so many who are helping in wonderful ways, whether it be giving financially to charities, donating used clothing and toys to shelters and thrift stores or serving in soup kitchens. I pray that the Christian people will continue to give, and even give more.

But what I find interesting in this verse is the words 'she stretcheth out her hand" and "she reacheth forth her hands". This immediately made me picture how a mother reaches out to her children when they need something. I thought of when one of my little ones is crying or has hurt himself, how, without even thinking about it, my hands immediately reach out for them. It seems to be a mother's natural instinct. How many times throughout the day do we find ourselves reaching out to the ones who we care so much for?

Perhaps this picture of a mother is behind these words here...The virtuous wife wants to do something more than just give of her time, resources or money. She wants to also show true compassion, and nurture those who are in need. Giving of our resources is of course a valuable and much needed thing to do. But perhaps we might remember to give of our hearts as well. I have this thought in my head of wanting to invite someone who is hungry into my home, to have them sit with us, as part of the family, at the table to eat. Invite them to stay for our family Bible reading, in the hopes that perhaps we will have fed his heart as well as his tummy. I know this is idealistic to many, but it reminds me of a verse in Hebrews...

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (Hebrews 13:2)

Let us be mindful to be as charitable with our hearts as we are willing to be with our resources.

Love,

0 comments:

Post a Comment