17 August 2009

Update

Thursday afternoon I started having contractions and just feeling "icky", so I called Rick and he came home from work. I staid off my feet throughout the evening but continued to feel worse. Throughout the night it got continually worse and I started running a fever and throwing up. We called the midwife in the morning, and she was convinced that I must just have a virus, at which point Rick is trying to explain to her that the contractions started before any other symptoms. She finally suggested to just bring me in to the hospital. Once there they put my on an IV and Zofran (for nausea) and were just absolutely convinced it was nothing more than dehydration, and really weren't taking it very seriously at all. They sent me home as soon as they got one bag of fluids in me, even though I was contracting, and the nurse said to only call if I had a temp over 101.4 for 24 hrs! (one of the most absurd things I have ever heard) We went home frustrated, but not really sure what else to do. So I came home and went straight to bed. The whole rest of the day and night I was continually getting worse, throwing up, contracting and in terrible pain. Rick would take my temp and it would be over 101, he would give me tylenol, it would come down for an hour or two and then spike right back up. I never got out of bed from the time we got home Friday until we headed back to the hospital on Saturday. Finally he called the midwife back on Saturday and he told her how ridiculous it was that the nurse had told us not to call unless my temp staid over 101 for 24 hrs, even though she did tell me to take tylenol. The midwife agreed that that didn't make sense. He updated her on what was going on and she told him to bring me back in. So we head back, and at this point we are really not feeling very confident in the level of care we are receiving. Once back there, they struggle to even get in an IV because at this point I am severely dehydrated. Someone is finally able to get one in with a newborn needle. The give me fluids and more Zofran and then I don't see a nurse again for several hours. At this point I am beyond frustrated but in too much pain and too weak to really say anything, and they wont let Rick back to the room because he has the boys with him. I am looking at the monitor and can see that my contractions are starting to become very regular (as in every three minutes) and I am almost in a panic. Finally shift change happens and a new nurse comes in, takes one look at my chart, and at me, and says "We need to get these contractions stopped". So then finally, the give me two different medications to stop contractions, and this still doesn't help, so she has to give me a second dose of one of them. They also gave me a second bag of IV fluids at which point they finally notice that I am so dehydrated that I haven't even been able to give a urine sample. She eventually tells me that my midwife went home because she was "just too tired" and that basically this nurse and some random doctor who never even comes into the room have been in charge of my care. They sent me home on bedrest. I slept through all of yesterday.

So I am trying to take it easy, we need to keep this baby cooking for a little while longer! We still don't know what caused all of this in the first place, so that is frustrating, but I am hoping that with rest we can get things calmed back down.

Hugs,

2 comments:

  1. praying, praying for the blessing to stay inside and continue to grow. praying for strength for all of the family over the next 12 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying for you and this precious gift. praying for the rest of the family as you try to rest over the next several weeks

    ReplyDelete