29 March 2011

Clinging to the Cross

What do we do when we are faced with challenges and trials?

If you are a Christian and striving to walk each day in obedience, you will face trials indeed. Trials are a necessary part of our Christian walk. They purify, correct, and mold us into being more Christ-like.

Scripture also tells us that the adversary will do anything and everything he can to deter us from following Christ. He will strive to make it too difficult, so that we want to give up. He will tear away our comforts and even friendships, and sometimes family, doing everything he can to put doubt into our hearts.

Trials can be chastening, they can be intended for our good. Or trials can be put in our path to deter us from following God with our whole being. Wherever the trial is coming from, we have control over how we choose to react.

If you are a Christian, you do not have to face these trials all alone. I find it to be such a comfort to remember that Jesus Himself went through such terrible testing and trials. Can you imagine facing unimaginable pain and death and still giving the greatest gift of love and selflessness? His friends abandoned Him, He was beaten and suffered such a cruel death, and He did so because He loved me.

Whatever difficulties we face, we can find comfort at the foot of the cross. I think about the way that Jesus handled Himself when faced with the greatest of trials. I can imagine He must have had fear, He must have felt heartbroken. He cried out to the Father. I find that to be such a comfort! Even with all that He must have felt, He still died willingly for my sins.

At the end of one of favorite cd's, "Home" by the Esh family, there are excerpts from their funeral sermons. In one of the excerpts, the minister recounts a story of a sailor reading Isaiah 53 to his captain. In the story, he inserts his name into the verse. What a powerful message! A few months ago, we were listening to it in the car, and in my head I put my name in as I was listening.

But he was wounded for Melly Elizabeth's transgressions, he was bruised for Melly Elizabeth's iniquities: the chastisement of Melly Elizabeth's peace was upon him; and with his stripes Melly Elizabeth is healed.

Wow. I cannot read or hear that verse without my eyes filling with tears. He went through that suffering for me. Should I not then, be grateful enough to handle whatever trials are sent my way with a faithful attitude? When I struggle, shouldn't I seek encouragement at the very source of my salvation?

When the storm is howling around me, that is where I hope to be found. Clinging to the cross, reliant on the One who loved me enough to give His life for me.

Love in Christ, Who First Loved Me,

1 comments: