12 September 2010

The Lord's Day

This Sunday was our first time back at the Mennonite church since we had left. We had a great mix of emotions...nervousness, joy, a longing to visit our dear friends, a worry they would be upset at us for having left...so many things.

I had wondered what it would feel like, to be in the church again. Would we feel like strangers? Would we feel at home?

Our drive there was an hour and fifteen minutes long. After the first 20 minutes, it was all rural. It was a rather pleasant drive, meandering through farmland and gravel roads. As we pulled up to the church I did feel as if my heart might just jump through my chest. I had been thinking so much about my life over the past year, and how different it had been, and I was feeling so lost. We pulled into the parking lot, and I thought my nerves might just get the better of me. We went into the church and I instantly felt like I had arrived home. For a moment I reflected back to the first time we had walked into the church....

"On Sunday we were invited to visit the Mennonite church. What a wonderful experience! When we first walked in I saw all of the ladies sitting on one side, each in their white covering and dresses in pretty shades of pastels, and I felt right at home. The first song we sang was one of my dear favorites; "Pass Me Not O Gentle Savior" and the four part harmony sounded like we must have been in heaven! Afterward we had dinner with one of the families, and it was nice to sit and talk with people who we share so many common beliefs with. We have already been invited to lunch next week with another family."

I took my place on the pew...the same place I had always sat in before. I held little James in my lap, just as I had held Joseph so many times before. As we sat in Sunday School, I could hear the youth boys singing "Perfectly Broken", a song that has been on my heart for the last month. I had to take James into the nursery, and rocking him in the dark room while listening to Titus preach felt so very familiar. It felt like home. I listened to the sermon, as I sat rocking my baby. "A separate and peculiar people..." I looked at the ladies in the pews with their pleated white kapps, and over at the men on their side, all in white buttoned up shirts and suspenders. Yes, I suppose it would be rather peculiar to most people. But I had never felt so much at home.

After church we gathered for a fellowship lunch. The crock-pots full of simple farm fresh meals was ever so inviting. Joshua grinned from ear to ear when he saw the trays of bread and jam. After lunch the ladies all sat in a circle chatting about wonderful things. Five new babies had been born that year...such a blessing! The children all played and the youth gathered to sing. It was everything I had remembered it to be.

After lunch we headed over to talk with Titus and Hannah. Our children very much enjoyed playing with their children. The girls took the boys outside, and they played barefoot and happy for hours. One of the girls even managed to rock Jamie to sleep. Talking with Titus and Hannah was wonderful. It felt as if burdens were lifted from my heart.

We spent the whole afternoon there. Hannah and her girls served us a meal of popcorn, crackers and cheese spread, cheese slices, and icecream. (They do not cook on Sundays, since it is a day of rest.)

After we ate, we went to the Garber's home for a hymn sing. The entire congregation came. Everyone brought chairs, and had formed a half circle (I love how everything is always so neat and orderly) around the fire. The singing was unbelievably beautiful. When it began to grow dark, Steve brought out oil lanterns to light the way. After the singing the children ran around playing and the adults stood around visiting with one another. It was almost difficult to leave to head home!


Many of the questions we have had felt answered after today. We had been praying for direction and feel that God is leading us back to the Mennonites. I feel a sense of peace in my heart that had been missing for quite some time.

In Christ's Love,

1 comments:

  1. Melly dear what an answer to prayer reading this post was! I sat with tears in my eyes as you relayed this story. So happy to hear you have returned to your old church and that you have such peace about it. May the Lord richly bless your lives as you serve Him.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete