30 November 2007

Homemaking and Playing and Things are Looking Up

Things have been better this last week. Nothing has changed in regards to our court case, except that we have a hearing scheduled for January tenth. So, that is quite a ways off, but everyone is in agreement that the boys having been with us through this whole ordeal can only help our case. Obviously they have been solely in our care and continued to thrive.

The case aide workers came by this morning for just a minute. They were stopping by to say they "laid eyes on us" and that everything was great, as she knew it would be.

Last weekend we drove to Kansas City to look around and look into different areas. I could not believe that it snowed on Saturday morning! We found several nice areas, one in particular that Rick really liked was Lees Summit. It was actually quite nice. It would be such a change to move into the suburbs. I think one of the biggest adjustments would be the noise. We are so accustomed to the quietness of the country. We generally only hear the sounds of tractors, cows, dogs barking, to occasional turkey gobble or gunshot. I know I shall miss all of the beautiful birds that I see. I see the most striking cardinals and blue birds and they come right up to the windows, particularly in the fig tree outside of the breakfast room.

Joshua bonked his little head trying to pull himself up in his crib. He is such an adventurous little boy! He wants to do everything. It is so cute how he watches Jacob, taking it all in, and how he tries to imitate him. Joshua is so determined. I think he is definitely the high-achieving type.

I tested Jacob on his shape recognition this morning, and he properly named a circle, star, hexagon, square, rectangle, oval, diamond, and triangle. What a smart boy! God has blessed us with such intelligent children!

Yesterday the boys and I went grocery shopping. It is quite an adventure to go shopping with two active little boys. And to think, soon there will be three! I did somewhat enjoy marketing though.

When we returned home, I spent the afternoon detail cleaning the refrigerator. It had gotten quite messy and disorganized, and it was really needing to be put back in order. I took everything out and removed the drawers and shelves and scrubbed everything clean. I cleaned under the lids of all of the condiments and put everything back in neatly and organized. I washed and diced grapes so they will be already prepared for Jacob, and bagged individual servings for Rick to take with his lunch. Everything looks so gleaming and nice.

On Tuesday morning I organized our linen closet. I removed everything and wiped down the shelves. I refolded all of the towels and washcloths neatly and organized the medicine bin. Rick was pleased with how it looks.

The goal is to clean the entire house in that detail. It is quite a task but the result is worth the effort. Not to mention, it gives me something productive to focus on other than this court case. And as an additional bonus, Jacob enjoys "helping" me clean, and he likes organizing. It must be genetic, lol. And I think most people prefer a near and orderly home.

I am making egg salad for lunch and I am thinking I will make a broccoli and cheese soup with homemade bread for dinner.

I found a great website the other day while I was looking for ideas for an advent wreath. It is run by a lady with two sons, and she seems to be around my age. I always enjoy finding websites full of great information on homemaking. I think that homemaking is one of my favorite subjects to read about. I have always enjoyed learning and particularly when it is something that I can use in my daily life. And I have always been a bit of a perfectionist and a high achiever, so it is not surprising that I would want to learn as much as I can about what I do.

The boys were so cute earlier playing blocks together. They sat so nicely beside each other and Jacob would hand Joshie blocks. And Joshie would just look at Jacob with such fascination, studying him and then trying to imitate what he saw. They really play nicely together. Every now and then one will get jealous, but for the most part they play well together. I think Jacob is enjoying having a playmate.

Our house is filling up with the scent of freshly rising bread. That has to be one of the most lovely scents on earth. Nothing smells more like home to me than fresh bread. Pure lovliness. It warms my heart to know that my children associate those things with me. When Jacob saw a picture of Martha in his children's Bible baking bread, he said it was mommy. And he gets so excited each time I pull out the mixer because he knows that something good is coming. On Tuesday we made chocolate chip muffins and we made extra so that Rick could take them to work to share. He said that one of the guys came by asking if there were anymore, and he had already had two. So I'll take that as a compliment. It is a nice feeling to make other people's day a little sweeter with something as simple as a muffin.

Shauneen talked to the case worker who told her that the only reason she is having someone come by once a week is because it will help out our court case. That is incredible. It is amazing to me that they were able to come into our home and see who we are and see our family for what it is. It is nice to know that the way we are shows to people who don't even know us. I am sure it has also helped that we have supportive friends who know our children and who are saying the same things about us. It is just amazing to have that support.

0 comments:

Post a Comment