17 August 2011

Canning Peaches

What do you do with seventy five pounds of peaches? Why, can them of course! :)



Jacob helped me to peel the first half bushel. (Don't throw out those peels, we can use them later for Sunrise Jelly!)



After peeling, simply slice the peaches as desired. I like to slice mine in slightly smaller pieces than store bought canned peaches since we are in the "young children" phase of life and I'd need to slice them again before giving them to my "littles". (When slicing, save those pits, too! Just add them to the bowl with all of the peels.)



Prepare jars and lids as usual for water bath canning.



You'll want to treat the peaches to prevent browning after they are canned. You can use a product like Fruit Fresh, or you can use a solution of lemon juice and water. I use 1 T of lemon juice per cup of water.



While the peaches are soaking, prepare the syrup. I make a light syrup using 9 c. of water and 2 1/4 c. of sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat and keep at a simmer.



Drain the peaches and place into the simmering pot of syrup. Bring to a boil. Boil for five minutes and then remove from heat.



Fill hot jars with hot fruit mixture. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace. Remove air bubbles by sliding a spatula along the inside of the jar and gently pressing against the peaches. Using a damp cloth, wipe the rims of the jars. Place lids and rings on jars.



Process for 25 minutes in water bath canner.



Delicious home canned peaches to enjoy all Winter long!



In Him Who First Loved Us,



4 comments:

  1. hmm these look amazing and you make it sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look good! My peaches floated (just like my tomatoes do). I only got a few pints out of my box (with 2 pints in the freezer and a couple more to turn into vanilla peach syrup in the morning). Oh, and if you keep nibbling while peeling, the estimated 6 pints of peaches might just turn out to be more like 3 and a half (but they were so good!). Will you share your sunrise jelly recipe? I have one that I was going to use for "peach peel jelly," but I think sunrise jelly, or even Melly's Jelly sounds better--that popped into my head randomly this morning, and I got a vision of a hand-painted "Melly's Jellies" sign at a shabby homemade roadside stand with 4 sweet little faces staring over a layer of jars spread about the counter, and the littlest, standing on an overturned milk crate of course, counts out change to the lone passerby who decided to stop, had a lovely conversation about the field of wistful wildflowers in the background, and then skipped away with her basket full of yummy goodies). Ok, some of the imagery came to mind just now as I was typing it :-) Well, I figure if I'm gonna call it what your jelly is called, I'll make it the way yours is made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely image! Yes, I will definitely share my jelly recipe, although I likely won't make mine until we get home from our trip. I put my bowl of pits and peels in the freezer in the meantime. :) "Melly's Jellies"...cute!

    Pam, it really IS easy! There's a lot of work involved with peeling and cutting them up and everything, but none of the process is complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is jackie, i am new to blogging.
    I am so interested in the canning process its something you do not hear of in England.
    I aim to learn more and give it ago!

    ReplyDelete