06 July 2011

Porcupine Meatballs

I promised several friends that I would share my recipe for Porcupine Meatballs. This dish seems to be quickly becoming one of my "signature dishes"!

My version is slightly different than the traditional recipe, with an addition of crushed red pepper and a few other things for an added kick of flavor. The uncooked rice gives the meatball a delicious texture. This recipe will feed your average Mennonite family, or a small crowd. :)

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
4 slices of white bread (I've used both my Amish Loaf Bread and Potato Bread with great success)
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. milk
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. rice, uncooked
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. (or so) black pepper
4 c. tomato juice
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Directions:
Tear bread into pieces and place in a small bowl. Pour the milk over the bread. Soak for a minute until bread disintegrates. Add eggs and mix again with a wire whisk until well integrated. Set aside.
Mix together tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce and set aside.
Grease two 9x13 casserole dishes.
In a large bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients. Add milk mixture. Using hands (you will get messy!) mix together and shape into meatballs. Place into greased casserole dishes.
Pour sauce over the top.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue baking for 30 minutes.

These meatballs go beautifully with mashed potatoes!

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Do you use instant rice or regular? I am looking forward to making this soon! :)
    Confident in Christ,
    Susan M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I use regular white rice. :)

    ReplyDelete