01 July 2011

Love Your Enemies

Love your enemies...Returning good for evil... Yes, this is something that I've written about before. Something that I struggle with, and something that I'm determined to live out.

God knows my heart. He knows this is not something that comes easily to me. People sometimes assume that because I am "nice", this must come easily to me. It's true, niceness and sweetness does come easily to me, but loving my enemies...well, that's a whole 'nother story! Truthfully, my human nature can be vicious, especially in regards to protecting my family. If someone is unkind to those I love, it's very, very (shall we add in another very?) difficult for me to not want to lash out. Sometimes it has felt like simply holding my tongue was enough of a challenge. I didn't lash out, isn't that enough?

Jesus didn't tell us that "it would be nice if maybe you could not hate your enemies." No, He said, "Love your enemies". It goes further than that...He even tells us how to love them.

"But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also.

Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.

And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.

But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."

Luke 6:27-36

Giving to those who take from you. Showing kindness to those who are so cruel. Loving those who hate you. It's not easy! But, it's not impossible either.

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

How is our Father merciful?

He created this world, this beautiful world, for us, and we defiled it with our sin. He destroyed the world we defiled and made it new again for us. We defiled it again. He then went a step further. He gave us His Son. And what did we do? We set out to destroy Him, too. And yet...and yet, He chose to give His life for us...for ME. We spit in His face with our sin and He looks at us and says, "Yes, my child, I will die for you. I love you that much!"

Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Can we show this kind of love? Can we choose to sacrifice even for those who wish us harm?

When our enemy knocks on our door, can we invite them into our home? Can we share our bounty of food with them? Can we offer them a warm comfortable place to sit? Can we be kind to them?

Can we love them that hate us? Can we show the mercy our Father shows us?

I believe that we can. We serve a loving Father, and He will not ask us to do something that He won't equip us to do. If He sends us to serve as missionaries, He will provide the grace, If He sends us to die as martyrs, He will provide the strength. If He asks us to suffer for His sake, He will send contentment. If He asks us to live in prosperity, He will send us the self control to be good stewards. If He asks to be a mother, He gives us what we need to fulfill this role. Whatever He asks of us, He gives us the strength, ability, courage, restraint, love...He provides. It's just a matter of whether or not we accept this.

He asks us to set aside self. Take up your cross, and follow Him.

When my enemy knocks on my door, I pray He will give me everything I need to show them love. Let my self decrease and only Your precious love shine through instead. Let my enemies see only the love that You have for them, and not my own selfish heart.

In His Name,

1 comments:

  1. God bless you. This is right and good. May He help us all to do the Right thing whatever He brings into our day.

    ReplyDelete