02 August 2012

The Building of a Mountain

 When making a cake to feed a crowd, you'd better make sure you have a HUGE bowl and plenty of eggs...this cake batter took 12 eggs!

 I searched through all of my cake pans and Pyrex to find the right configuration to build a mountain.

 Ready for the oven!

  



It took lots and lots of frosting to hold this mountain together! Once I had all of the layers stacked. I gently trimmed it to just the right shape. 


 I ever so carefully smoothed it all out...adding a bit more frosting here and there to get the shape just right.

 Ready for the fondant!

 The rolled fondant started out white, so I had to work in the color to get it to look like desert stone.

 After a LOT of kneading, the color was finally just right!

 And now we have Mount Sinai! The fondant was a little too smooth for a mountain, so I borrowed one of the boys' toy trucks and ran it along to rough it up a bit. I rolled and smooshed little bits of leftover fondant to make stones. I used brown sugar around the base to cover the platter for the sand.

I'm quite pleased with the final result!

Pax Christi,

0 comments:

Post a Comment